Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Longing for Another World

CNN recently reported on the depression experienced by some viewers of the blockbuster hit Avatar.  The report chronicles how some viewers and fans of film walked away depressed that Pandora (the fictional world depicted in Avatar) does not, and could not exist.      Some fans went so far as to express suicidal thoughts in the days following watching this movie.  One fan reports-

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning... It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

Almost 60 years ago C.S. Lewis wrote in his masterpiece Mere Christianity "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

1 comment:

Tim said...

When I read that quote, I couldn't help but think - "I know how that feels". Sad stuff. Great Lewis quote, btw.

Twitter